With so many options to choose from, buying a bike basket for your dogs can be time-consuming.
This is because a lot of research goes into it, after all, our dogs are precious and we want to make sure they are safe and comfortable.
So, let’s look at to keep your dog safe and comfortable when going for a ride.
The top 3 best bike baskets for dogs: Our Picks
- Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket
- Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
- Pettal – Foldable Detachable Dog Travel Bicycle Basket
Below is our list of top 10 dog baskets but what you need to look for is the quality of the frame and the materials used. The durability and how it handles certain weather conditions.
Finally, you want to make sure that it has safety features such as reflective panels and a secure dog leash.
That was just a short and quick answer. For everything else that you need to know, keep reading.
Here Are the 10 Best Bike Baskets and Bike Carriers for Dogs
On this website, we have covered quite a few topics surrounding how to transport your dog and even though we have a buyer’s guide in this article, we can save you time, stress, money, and effort.
We plan on doing this by giving you a list of our top 10 bike baskets for dogs
Without wasting any more of your time let’s jump straight into it.
1. Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket
This dog basket has a minimal yet stylish design. It is great for anyone who cycles during all seasons.
This is because it provides warmth on colder days and can be opened up to allow for good airflow when it is hot.
- Safety leash and drawstring mesh top secures pet inside during moving
- Solid bottom prevents pets from sliding down and no metal support required
- The basket easily disconnects from the bike in seconds and can be used as a pet carrier
- Double use mat: plush side for winter and nylon for summer
- Mat is removable for easy cleaning
- Side pockets can store goods like leash clip and treats
- Flat for easy storage when not use
- Has safety measures to keep your dog secure while moving
- Can be used during any season, obviously, within reason though.
- Has a rain cover.
- Minimal design.
2. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
This dog basket is great for anyone with medium-small dogs and for anyone who likes to use their bikes for grocery shopping. If you like convenience, you will love the quick installation of this basket.
You can choose from a variety of sizes and colors.
- Easy and quick installation.
- Very stable, it can carry a lot of weight without swaying.
- Does not fit on some E-bikes
3. Pettal – Foldable Detachable Dog Travel Bicycle Basket
For anyone who wants to take their dogs with them in style and comfort, this basket is perfect. With lots of vibrant colors to choose from, there is something for everybody.
If your dog weighs up to 11Lb, this incredible basket will carry them with ease. It also has a lot of storage space.
- Easy Quick Install & Detached Push Button so convenient for Pet Bike Ride can carry Pet Up to 11Lb. Multi-use as Pet Dog Cat Outdoor Carrier Handbag.
- Additional Side & Zipped Inner Pockets with Big Volume storage ability.
- Waterproof heavy-duty fabric with a reinforced Aluminum support frame.
- Drawstring top closure secures the Pets/Items stay in the Basket.
- Fit for most of the bike, just make sure the distance from handlebar to the tire is higher than 12 inches. Fit for handlebar dia: 22mm-31mm.
- Vibrant colors and stylish design.
- Lots of storage space with inner and outer side pockets.
- The basket is waterproof.
- Can only hold a dog up to 11Lb.
- While the installation is not difficult, it is not the easiest on this list.
4. ALL FOR PAWS Deluxe 2 in 1 Bicycle Basket Carrier
This dog basket is basically first-class transportation for your small dog. It is comfortable, has great airflow, and is easy to install. It has 3 side pockets that use zips to open and close.
With its premium quality materials, it is built to last. The basket comes with a shoulder strap that doubles as a leash.
- First-class comfort.
- Shoulder strap that doubles as a leash
- No choice of sizes and/or colors.
5. Walky Dog Bicycle Bike Basket
This basket stands out with its odd oval shape. Have you ever been cycling with your dog and the sun goes down before you anticipated it would? Well, with its strategically placed reflective strip, it removes some of the panic that cycling in the dark can cause.
The basket is built for safety and includes a short leash inside.
- Designed for taking your pet with you on a bike ride, Easy Click quick-release buckles
- Includes Zippered storage pocket & Padded bottom, Reflective Strip,
- Includes Mesh pocket for water bottle & Zippered mesh cover for top of the carrier to zip pet in
- Includes a short leash inside that can attach to your pets collar The leash is attached & Swen into the bottom of Basket, Floor Board Can be removed for easy Cleaning and you will find Leash Stowed there in Inital packaging
- We recommend professional installation of the mounting device by a bike shop
- Reflective strip for safety.
- Includes a short leash that attaches to the dog’s collar
- Can hold medium-small dogs.
- Should be installed by a professional at your pet store.
6. Lixada Waterproof Dog Bike Basket
Lixada was not playing around when they built this basket with durability as a focus point. With its aluminum frame and water-resistant oxford cloth material, you can be sure that the basket will last.
It also comes with universal components that make it easy to install. Finally, there are a few options for you to choose from.
- Internal storage with zips for security.
- Various options to choose from.
- Very durable with an aluminum frame.
- Folds for easy storage.
- The basket is rather large making it feel clunky at first.
7. BARKBAY Dog Bicycle Basket & Carrier
This incredible bike basket by BARKBAY is built with safety and comfort in mind. The basket is perfect for anyone who wants to bike or even walk with their dog.
This is because of the padded shoulder strap that allows you to safely transport your dog even when you are walking.
- his multifunctional bicycle basket attaches via a quick-release handlebar mount, making removal a snap
- Remove the basket, and carry food or other stuff for a day of sun, surf, and relaxation
- As a pet bike carrier, you can hit the road along with your dog
- This handlebar cycling bag are all about convenience
- Made of a sturdy metal frame, with a solid oxford fabric, a modern quick release handlebar adapter
- The bike basket lives up to the quality craftsmanship.
- Safe and secure
- The basket is extremely comfortable.
- The shoulder strap is a true innovation.
- Can carry pets who weigh up to 19Lb
- The basket is large which means you will have to first check the dimensions to make sure it fits on your bike.
8. Cape May Rear Mount – Hand Crafted by Beach and Dog Co
Another basket from “Beach and Dog”. This basket is also made from willow but unlike the rest of the baskets on this list, this one is mounted to the rear of the bike.
For added security, you would need to use a little metal cover to make sure that the dog does not jump out while you are not looking.
Beach & Dog Co
- Mounts to your bicycle’s rear bicycle rack (5 to 6 Inches PLEASE MEASURE) with included steel mounting bracket (Some assembly required)
- The bracket transfers the weight of the dog and your basket to the seat stays
- Handwoven from natural willow, using a reinforced double weaving technique and a solid wood bottom to give it maximum strength while taking your companion for a ride
- Holds dogs up to 25 lbs
- Very easy to use.
- Good for bikes that cannot mount a basket on the front.
- The basket is made from natural materials.
- You would need to be aware of what is happening behind you.
- Does not fit on all bikes.
- Only allows for dogs that weigh 17Lb or less.
9. Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket, Grey, And Black
This dog basket is perfect for anyone who has smaller dogs like a poodle, Jack Russel, or a dachshund.
If you are looking for a durable dog basket, this is one that you should look at. If you know that you might get caught in the rain, the snoozer buddy has an easy to attach rain cover.
- Made of a sturdy metal frame, with solid oxford fabric, a modern quick-release handlebar adapter
- Holds pets up to 11 pounds
- When you use it as a dog bike basket, it easy to disassemble and reassemble quickly for convenience
- Take the bike basket on and off the bike to use it as a pet bed or dog car carrier.
- Has a chin rest for your dog which adds to the comfort of the basket.
- Strong materials and comes with a rain cover.
- Lots of side pockets and added storage.
- Not much ventilation especially when you add the rain cover.
10. Monterey Large Willow Bicycle Basket
This dog basket is a literal basket. It is meant for small dogs and it is made from willow. The basket is easily installed on almost any bike.
Finally, the basket can hold dogs that weigh up to 20Lb.
Nantucket Bicycle Basket
- Replicas of the Lightship baskets first produced in Nantucket during the whaling era of the 1800s
- Our Lightship baskets are made from finely woven rattan cane: the outer skin of the natural rattan vine
- Attaches to handlebars with 2 adjustable leather straps, fits most adult bicycles
- Weight limit of 13 pounds
- Can be installed on almost all bikes
- Holds up to 20Lb
- Is made from natural materials.
- The basket is very aesthetically pleasing.
- The basket is not very weatherproof.
- Needs insert to be secured and made comfortable.
How to Choose the Best Bike Baskets for Dogs?
If you are not happy with any of the baskets that I put on the list and you still want to shop around on your own, there are few things that you should look out for.
We will cover that in this section. So, for everything you need to know about buying a bike basket for your dog, keep reading.
When buying a bike basket for your dog, you should look at the durability which includes the materials that are being used, the safety measures of the bike basket, what inserts does it have and what is the washability of those inserts. There are also a few other things to look out for.
Now that we got that out of the way we can take a look at each of these points a little bit more in-depth and explain a bit further what it is you should look out for regarding each of these things so let’s jump straight into it.
The durability of a dog bike basket plays a huge role in your purchase. This is not only for safety measures but it is also to make sure that you do not have to buy a new basket every few weeks, months, or years.
Let’s take a look at what a durable bike basket should look like and feel like.
- The frame: this is what keeps the basket together and it should be sturdy. The 2 best materials used in a good frame will be either aluminum or carbon.
- The materials: There is a wide range of materials that get used for a bike basket. The 2 best, in my opinion, would be oxford cloth or microfiber. That being said, you do not really want to put your dog in a plastic or metal basket, this would be very uncomfortable for the dog.
- Water-resistant: This is especially important if you live in a tropical climate. Most dog baskets will state if they are water-resistant.
The safety of our dogs is of utmost importance. The last thing that you want to do is buy a dog basket and have it malfunction during one of your rides. This can be dangerous for you and your dog.
So, let’s take a look at what you need to consider regarding the safety of a basket.
- Is it high enough to secure your dog?
- The Leash: There must be a way to attach a leash. The best baskets will have a leash built in that is the perfect length.
- Reflective panels: You never want to get stuck cycling with your dog in the evening but if you do, reflective panels are important to have.
The inserts of the dog basket are very important. This can affect the comfortability of the basket and it can also affect how easy it is to clean the thing.
A good dog basket will have easily removable inserts that allow you to wash them separately so that you make sure that you get each section of the basket as this is great for hygiene.
Other Important Features
I decided to include these features in one group rather than having individual sections for them because I believe that these are more obvious things. However, they are still important to cover so let’s jump straight into it.
- Installation: you want to find a dog basket that is easy to install and you also want to find one that has universal installation components because these tend to fit a wider range of bikes. Other than that, you can do a quick search to make sure that the basket you are interested in does fit on your bicycle.
- Comfort: You want your dog to enjoy going bike riding with you. You don’t want them to see it as a chore so you want to make sure that they are comfortable and if I am being honest, most bike baskets are comfortable for dogs.
- Capacity: Before just going out and buying a bike basket for your dog, you want to make sure that the basket can handle their weight because if it can’t, the basket might malfunction halfway through your ride.
- Dimensions: Similar to the weight, you need to make sure that your dog can fit in a basket, or else you won’t even be able to get started.
Frequently Asked Questions
We get asked a lot of questions all the time and I will admit, I find it rather flattering.
We have actually answered a lot of these questions in previous articles and under each section, if they do have a dedicated article, I will add the link.
That being said, I decided to answer the most frequently asked questions that we get regarding dog baskets. So, keep reading.
How much weight can a bike basket hold?
As durable as bike baskets are, there is only a certain limit to what they can carry. So, let’s take a quick look at how much weight a dog basket can hold.
The weight that a dog bike basket can hold varies from 10Lb to around £22Lb. That weight range covers almost any type of small dog. If a basket does not have a clear indication as to how much weight it can carry, check the tag, or do research on the basket.
Before you buy a bike basket, it is important to weigh your dog to check how much they weigh.
Are Dog Bike Baskets Safe?
It’s not often that we think of companies or corporations as having the best interest of their customers in mind. However, I found that most pet companies are run by people who are passionate about animals.
So most dog bike baskets, especially when you look in the $35 and upwards price range, are generally more than safe enough for your dog.
That does not mean that you should not take safety precautions.
Can I put a basket on my mountain bike?
Some of us live in areas with terrain that is not smooth and flat so instead of riding normal bicycles, we have to use mountain bikes. Can you use a dog bike basket on a mountain bike? let’s take a look.
Most dog baskets are built with universal components that fit on a wide range of bikes and in my experience, most bike baskets that fit on any bicycle do in fact fit quite easily on mountain bikes.
If you are ever unsure, You can just check with the manufacturer. They should be able to tell you whether or not a bike basket will fit on your bike model.
Can I Put A Basket On My Road Bike?
As we said when talking about mountain bikes, dog baskets are made with universal components so this will allow you to also put a dog bike basket on a road bike in most cases.
Is It Bad To Bike With Your Dog?
There are three ways that you can bike with your dog. Each of these methods has its benefits and some are better than the other depending on your situation.
Let’s take a look at these three.
- One method is you can have them in the dog bike basket. This is usually reserved for smaller dogs.
- Then, you can also have them running next to your bike on a leash. This is normally for bigger and fitter dogs.
- Finally, you can have them in a child bike trailer. This is for smaller or bigger dogs. With a trailer, you can fit almost any dog inside.
The best way of doing this depends on your dog and it depends on what you want for your dog. If you just want them to go with you to the park, the beach, or any area like that, then a child bike trailer is the best.
If you want them to be close to you and for them to see what’s going on around them, then a dog bike basket is the best.
If you are trying to keep your dog fit, then having them run next to you with the leash would be your best option.
What If Your Dog Is Scared Of The Bike Basket?
If your dog seems scared of the basket and they get a little bit fearful when you put them in there, I do have a few methods that you can try.
Hopefully, these methods work and get them used to it, and maybe after that, they will be happy and grateful that they get to go along on your trips with you.
The first thing you want to do is, while the bike is standing still, put them in the basket and give them a treat.
A lot of the time they might think that they are being put in the basket as punishment for something but giving him treats will show them that this is not true.
The next step that you want to take is to grab the bike by the handlebars with the dog inside the basket and talk to them while you push the bike slowly.
You want to go only one to two meters at a time and then stop.
On your first bike ride with your dog in the basket, you want to make sure that you have some treats available for the dog and you want to make sure that they are comfortable.
This is because at the end of the day if the dog is not comfortable and there is nothing you can do, the last thing you should not do is put them in uncomfortable situations.
We have actually written a full article on how to take your dog in the basket and you can find that article linked over here for everything you need to know.
Are Dog Bike Baskets Better Than Bike Trailers For Dogs?
This is actually a rather tricky question to answer because we need to take into account quite a few factors. Those factors include the size of your dog and your dog’s personality but we can try and answer this question as best we can.
For smaller dogs, a bike basket is perfect but for larger dogs, you might want to get a child bike trailer so that they can actually fit into the thing.
It is not only about the size of your dog but your dog’s personality can also influence which is best.
If your dog is scared of the bike basket, you could try and put them in a bike trailer. At the end of the day, I think the most important thing is that you get to take your dog with you on your bicycle trips to the park without you having to walk there.
Remember To Have Fun
This is just something that I like to iterate whenever I write these types of articles because I believe that the most important thing when cycling, walking, or doing anything with our animals is to have fun.
Let them know that they are allowed to have fun on these trips.
Be patient with your dog if they are struggling to get used to the basket, bike trailer, or even just walking alongside your bicycle while you ride it.
Once your dog is used to it, trust me you are in for a lot of good memories and a lot of bonding moments with your dogs.
While some people claim that this does not affect the dog’s personality, I believe that it does. A happy dog can be a person’s best friend.
That brings us to the end of this article and while we did get a bit sidetracked with everything that you need to know about dog baskets, the main focal point of this article was to help you by giving you a list of our favorite bike baskets for dogs.
I hope that we made your life easier and most of all I hope that you find the right basket for you and your dog so that the two of you can start going on cycle trips together and start building those very important bonding moments.
If you are still wondering whether or not it is a good idea to take your dog cycling with you, allow me to just close this article on this note: A dog’s entire world revolves around you and even if they might seem fearful at first, once they start going out on your trips with you, they will love it because they want to spend as much time with you as possible.
Is Cycling With A Dog Cruel? (It Can Be)
Cycling with your dog can be cruel when it's done wrong. If the dog is attached to a leash, don’t cycle too fast, and make sure to take it slow.
Clean A Dog Carrier With These 7 EASY Steps
We cover 8 easy steps to clean your dog carrier. Keeping a dog carrier clean does not have to be a daunting task, so, here’s how to clean your dog carrier.
Why Is My Dog Afraid Of Bikes? 4 Reasons Explained
If your dog is afraid of bikes, it is most likely just being cautious rather than fearful. It could also be that your dog does not understand what the bike is.
5 Easy Tips To Attach A Dog Bicycle Trailer
Having a dog bicycle trailer means we can take our dogs with us when we go cycling without having to worry about them getting exhausted or injured.
Can I Put My Dog In My Bike Basket?
For small to small-medium dogs fitting in a bike basket is no issue. But to keep your dog safe, using one designed specifically for pets is ideal.