Are you wondering why your dog keeps on following you and not your husband? Well, dogs are known to be a “man’s best friend” but sometimes their best friend maybe a woman.
Of course, there are exceptions to this where a man and dog have bonded for years only to have the dog then bond strongly later when a new female partner becomes a regular person in the dog’s life.
So, why does my dog always follow me and not my husband?
Your curious dog follows you and not your husband for different reasons, but the main one is usually that they like you best and have bonded with you the most.
In this post, we look at the various reasons why a dog has bonded with the female over the male and some ideas on how to improve a dog’s bond with other people in the home.
Keep in mind, that sometimes dogs just make up their mind about who they like best. Just like people, dogs have different personalities that partner best with other types of personalities.
Why your dog picks you as his favourite person
Sometimes, a dog’s favorite person may be one that does not actually take care of them 24/7.
Here are a couple of reasons why your dog follows you more:
1. Senses hostility
Your furry pal loves you and can sense aggressiveness towards you. If he realizes that your husband is hostile towards you, he is likely to take sides.
Your dog will not be comfortable around your husband if he shouts and beats the dog. Even if he has been following your husband, he will stop and start following you more.
2. Considers your husband as a stranger
By the time you get married, the dog might not be familiar with your husband. Mostly, dogs feel insecure if there is a new family member.
Dogs can sense the divided attention and may feel like the new member can harm them. They will follow you until they gain some level of trust in your husband.
3. Lack of bonding
If your husband stays very busy or works away from the family, your dog will not feel much affection for him. The dog will follow you as you are always near him. After all, bonding increases some level of trust and love.
Physical touch is also essential for bonding. If your husband doesn’t have a grooming session with the dog and has no time to give the dog the attention, then your pooch will prefer you.
4. Dislikes the smell
Dogs have a very strong sense of smell. The reason for your dog following you a particularly strong perfume he applies and the dog doesn’t like it. Your husband could also be having a natural scent that makes the dog prefer you.
5. Dog prefers one person
Pups socialize the most at the age of 7 weeks to 4 months and develop their personality. You need to introduce him to the family and different places.
If at that age, the puppy remains with a lady, he will later prefer you to your husband.
How to improve your dog’s attitude towards your husband
If you are concerned by the way your dog is behaving towards your husband, don’t worry. Here are a few ideas that can improve the dog’s attitude towards your husband:
- When your husband is not busy, he can play with the dog. Some great ideas for playdates include: You can play fetch, try a hide and seek, not to mention tug. With time the dog will start feeling secure in your husband’s presence.
- Flirt poles are great for dogs and offer loads of fun. It works the whole body and strengthens their muscles.
- Dogs are great chasers and enjoy fetch games. This will be a fun activity and also help to burn pent-up energy.
- Swimming is also a great way to spend time with dogs as they love playing and swimming in the water.
- Tug of war is a fun activity for the whole family.
- You can play hide and seek with the dog as well.
- Together with your husband, you can go to the field and play games like agility or fly ball.
- With your husband, you can have a training session with your dog. As the dog learns new techniques and reinforces the old one, they will have an excellent opportunity to bond. Praising your dog during training is rewarding for you and your husband. This way you will be able to use positive associations to help in training and socializing your dog to your advantage.
- Since the dog tends to love the person who feeds it. A great way to develop a bond is to ask your husband to feed the dog when he is around. You must ensure that the food he is giving to your pooch is od right amount and healthy.
- Your husband can take part in your dog’s grooming sessions.
- Your dog may have an issue with your husband’s perfume, soap, aftershave, or lotion. You can change beauty products and check if there is any change in your dog’s behaviour.
Of course, your dog is going to love the person who always plays around with them and brings them their daily meals.
If your husband doesn’t want to feel left out, he must show affection and cater properly to the dog’s needs.
Flirt Pole V2
Squishy Face Studio
- New and improved V2 developed using customer feedback from extremely popular original Flirt Pole
- Comes with durable polyester webbing Lure pre-attached
- Regular size, 36-inch Flirt Pole is recommended for play areas at least 15’x15′
- Either size Flirt Pole V2 can be used with dogs of any size
- Also works great as a training tool and provides the mental exercise dogs need
As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases, thanks for supporting our work!
Do dogs miss their owners when they are away?
Dogs can start missing their human parents from the moment they part ways. Some dogs miss their owners a lot when they are away while some manage it better than others with the separation.
This usually depends on the dogs’ breed, personality, and training.
Although all dogs are unique, there are some common signs of your dog missing you while you are gone.
- They chew or cuddle your belongings while you are away.
- They whine when their human companions leave and express their discontent to see you go.
- They watch the door after you leave in the hopes that you will be back through it soon.
- They make a really big deal and become super-excited when you get home.
- They lean against you as soon as you get through the door.
- They follow you around the house.
- They engage in destructive behavior while you are gone.
Well, it’s fine to miss each other once in a while. This shows how strong your mutual bond is!
What does it mean when your dog stares at you?
All dogs are social creatures and love companionship. It is no surprise that many dogs like to stare at us all the time. Is there a one-stare-fits-all answer? The answer is NO! Dogs have several reasons for staring at their owners. Most dog staring is a combination of affection and attention. Here are some of the reasons why your dog stares at you:
Dogs are reading us
Dogs can sense our moods, understand our gestures, and comprehend our emotions. They stare at us a lot because they read us for information about what’s going to happen next and what we think and feel.
Dogs are trying to get out attention
Staring also occurs when your dog is trying to get your attention or want to tell you something. This may be because they are hungry or they want a potty break. Some dogs stare continuously to manipulate their human parents and get something they want.
Dogs want to tell us how they feel
Your furry pal can also use eye contact to express positive or negative emotions. You might see your dog staring at you when there is a bone or other valued treat at stake.
Your dogs can also make eye contact with you to bond and as an expression of love.
Pro-tip: If a stranger dog gives you a hard stare, with unblinking eyes and a stiff posture, you must back away and avoid making eye contact.
The dog is a peaceful and friendly animal. He is also very curious. The way you treat him will determine the level of affection he will reciprocate.
Showing affection might make the dog change his attitude towards your husband. You can learn to solve your family issues more calmly and soberly.
Why Your Dog Kills Birds, + 5 Prevention Tips
Well, it is normal for dogs to kill birds due to their hunting instincts. Not all dogs will follow the chase through to a kill, many just
Why Does My Dog Sneeze So Much? 8 Reasons!
12 Tips For Camping With An Anxious Dog
This article is for you if you have a nervous dog and are concerned about going camping with them. We break down 12 helpful tips that might make camping with your dog easier.
6 Reasons Dogs Sleep With Their Bum Facing You
There are several reasons why your dog sleeps with their bum facing you. Some dog parents may interpret this as a sign that there’s something up with their dog. Let's have a look at some reasons why dogs sleep with their bum facing you.
Why Do Dogs Lick Lotion? (6 Reasons)
Dogs enjoy licking lotion and other topical products off their owner's skin. They love to get a chance to sample whatever you have applied to your skin after a shower.
My Dog Ate Used Condom, HELP!
If your dog ate a used condom, you're probably freaking out right now, but don't worry. There are some quick and easy ways to treat this situation that will ensure your pet's safety.