Two of the most common solutions to get rid of dog diarrhea smells are vinegar and baking soda. If you don’t have both at home, you can use either of the ingredients and spray them on the smelly area. And if you have none of the options, you can clean the area with dish detergent.
I know people who have had dogs or have been working in dog shelters for years. And even though they have seen and heard it all, what these friends of mine could never get used to is dog diarrhea.
It is tough to deal with this issue as it always leaves a stronger smell than usual poop. That is why one of the first things I learned after getting a dog is how to get rid of dog diarrhea smell.
But what is the right way to make the solution spray and apply them? Well, that is why you need to read the entire article.
Related Reading: Why Does My Dog Smell Like Fish? [FIND OUT!]
How To Get Rid Of Dog Diarrhea Smell?
Getting rid of the diarrhea smell is crucial yet an essential task. Even though dogs choose carpets as their favorite spot for pooping, you can use the following methods to eliminate the smell from any type of surface.
Things You Will Need
- Gloves: You should never handle any dog poop with your bare hands. On top of that, dog diarrhea contains many harmful bacteria. So, wear one or a pair of rubber gloves.
- Cleaning Ingredient: This is the main cleaning ingredient to make the odor-removing solution. You have many options such as vinegar, baking soda, dishwasher detergent, etc.
- Water: You might not need to use it when applying baking soda, but it will be necessary if you choose to apply vinegar.
- Wipes: Be prepared with lots of wipes because you need something effective to absorb the mess. It helps get rid of the smell faster.
- Vacuum Cleaner: Even though you try using several things to clean up the mess, you will still need a little help from the mighty vacuum cleaner. A vacuum can clean up the tiniest things and remove moisture that we cannot.
Before using any smell-removing solution, the first thing to do is to scoop out diarrhea as much as you can using newspaper or toilet paper. Then you can use any of the following methods to get rid of the smell.
Method 1: Using Baking Soda
Baking soda is a highly effective natural remedy to eliminate any foul smell, including dog diarrhea. And here is a simple instruction you can follow.
- Cover the entire area with a good amount of baking soda and rub it a little so that the baking soda reaches deeper.
- You can leave it for 4-6 hours, but it works best if you leave it overnight. It will help absorb the moisture and kill the bacteria.
- After the time is out, take your vacuum cleaner and remove the soda. Vacuuming also eliminates any unabsorbed moisture if you are cleaning poop from a carpet.
Method 2: Vinegar Solution
Just like baking soda, vinegar is yet another commonly used solution to get rid of the smell. And this is the right way to use it.
- Take a spray bottle and mix vinegar with water. The water and vinegar ratio should be 50:50 to make the solution.
- Shake the bottle well so that the water and vinegar mix well.
- Then spray the solution on the area to soak it entirely. Then use a blot with a cloth.
- Finally, rinse the area with water properly so that everything washes off. If you feel like one wash was not enough, you can repeat the entire process.
Method 3: Vinegar & Baking Soda Solution
When you add both vinegar and baking soda, you get the best kind of natural remedy to get rid of the dog’s diarrhea smell.
- Just like the one I mentioned in the first method, apply a generous amount of baking soda to cover the spot.
- Then make a 50:50 vinegar and water solution and apply it to the area you applied baking soda.
- Leave the mixture and solution in the area for a few hours or overnight.
- Finally, scrub off everything and wash the area with water.
Method 4: Dish Detergent
If none of the above is an option for you, here is how you can use dish detergent to get rid of the dog poop smell.
- Apply some dish detergent on the pooped spot. It is best to use foamy ones as they can easily penetrate through the fibers of your carpet.
- You can mix the soap detergent with water to spray over the area to get a better result.
- Make sure not to spray too much detergent as it can damage the carpet. Then rinse it with clean water.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What causes the foul smell in dog diarrhea?
Dog diarrhea stinks more if the dog suffers from a severe infection like parvovirus. It can also happen if the dog suffers from diarrhea from eating rotten or spoiled food.
Q. How long can it take for dog poop odor to go away?
If left without cleaning, dog poop odor can linger for a month or two as it will take longer to decompose. But sometimes, the smell lingers some time, even after you clean it. However, cleaning with chemical solutions can eliminate the smell in 3-5 days.
Q. How do you get rid of dog diarrhea in the grass?
Cleaning dog poop, including diarrhea, is comparatively easier when it happens outside. You can put on rubber gloves and scoop as much poop as you can using newspaper or toilet paper. Then you can wash off the rest with a garden water hose and get the area cleaned up.
Cleaning up poop may not get easier, but it is best to ensure the area does not stink. However, if you know how to get rid of dog’s diarrhea smell, you can remove any stinky odor your dog leaves behind anywhere.
Make sure to spray enough solution and follow the cleaning instructions correctly. And even though an upset stomach can happen for any reason, it is best to avoid giving dogs food that is not suitable for them.