The Samoyed Husky Mix, also called the Samusky, is a hybrid dog bringing together the Samoyed and the Siberian Husky.
You might be wondering what this remarkable hybrid dog has to offer?
Well, this post will guide you about everything you need to know about Samoyed Husky Mix.
Let’s begin our ride!
Related Reading: Meet the Siberian Husky Pug Mix
Take a look at the parent breeds
The Samusky will take his personality and appearance from both his parents. So, it’s essential to know and appreciate the parent breeds as well.
Siberian Husky is a striking canine with a brains-and-beauty package. They are independent thinkers with a stubborn streak. Huskies friendly and affectionate dogs and shower the entire family with love and loyalty.
They are smart, energetic, and intelligent and need a lot of attention from their owners. These highly sensitive dogs crave human companionship and have a low tolerance for being alone. Siberian Huskies are heavy shedders and require regular grooming to prevent matting.
The beautiful white Sammies were bred to hunt, haul sleds, and herd reindeer. The working dog originated from the coldest areas of Siberia and had a close association with the Samoyede people. Samoyeds are pack dogs and are very friendly and good-natured. They thrive on human companionship and loves being part of household activity.
Sammies have a profuse double coat and are heavy shedders. They are not brush-and-go dogs and need a lot of grooming. Samoyeds are intelligent and quick learners that make them moderately easy to train. They have a high prey drive and need lots of physical activities to stay healthy and happy.
Samusky Highlights and Breed Characteristics
As the Samoyed Husky Mix is a hybrid, a cross between the Samoyed and Husky, it will inherit its parents’ traits. Samuskies are sociable and loyal, which makes them a great option for families. They don’t take well to boredom and can be a bit stubborn if not trained properly.
We have listed below Samoyed Husky Mix breed characteristics. This list is meant to be a general guideline for Samoyed Husky Mix’s characteristics. Let’s have a look at them:
The Samoyed Husky Mix dogs are not good at adapting to several living environments. Here are the reasons for their moderate adaptability score:
- The Samuskies are not recommended for apartment living due to their high energy and exercise needs.
- If you are a novice owner, Samoyed Husky Mix is not a great option for you.
- Samuskies are a little more sensitive than many other breeds. The Samoyed Husky Mix dogs cannot easily handle unpredictable situations and irregular routines.
- Samuskies are at their best when the owners are around. They share a bond very closely with their family and are more prone to worry or even panic when left alone by their owner.
- Both parent dog breeds’ history revolves around sub-zero climates. So, expect something similar for your Samusky as well. The Samuskies have a high tolerance for cold climate but a moderate tolerance for hot weather.
The Samuskies are known to be friendly and loving dogs. The reasons for their terrific all-around friendliness are:
- Samoyed Husky Mix dogs love their human friends. These sweet dogs are very loyal and affectionate towards the whole family.
- Samuskies are kid-friendly dogs. If you have children at home, this breed is a good option for you.
- The Samoyed Husky Mix is a dog-friendly breed and can easily adjust to other pets.
- Samuskies are stranger-friendly dogs. They won’t bother your guests with continuous bark.
Health and Grooming:
The Samuskies are high-maintenance dogs and are generally healthy.
- You will see a lot of fur during shedding season as Samuskies are heavy shedders. They shed moderately all year with two heavy sheddings.
- Are you a neatnik? The good news is that Samuskies have a low drooling potential!
- They require regular grooming to stay healthy and clean.
- These dogs are prone to many health issues including hip and elbow dysplasia, eye problems, hypothyroidism, diabetes, and a few more.
- You need to monitor their diets as Samuskies can put on weight easily.
The Samuskies are intelligent dogs. However, they should be trained gently but with patience and determination.
- They are independent thinkers and are difficult to train.
- The Samuskies are smart dogs with high intelligence levels.
- Samuskies have a moderate prey drive. They need to be leashed during walks.
- Samuskies are cheerful dogs, and they tend to be quite vocal. They can bark continuously, just to let you know that they are feeling good about it.
- They have a moderate inborn desire to chase and catch something.
- Samoyed Husky Mix dogs are prone to wanderlust. You need to keep an eye on these escape artists.
The Samoyed Husky Mix dog is energetic and has high physical needs.
- Once you become a Samoyed Husky Mix parent, prepare to give them a lot of exercises. Samuskies are high-energy dogs and need physical activities for optimum health.
- One of the best things about the Samuskies is that they are highly playful.
- They are moderately vigorous dogs.
Vital Stats about Samoyed Husky Mix
|Dog Breed Group/Purpose||Mixed breed dogs|
|Ancestors||Siberian Husky, Samoyed|
|Temperament||Confident, smart, friendly, playful, strong-willed|
|Average Height||20 to 24 inches|
|Average Weight||45 to 60 pounds|
|Life Expectancy||12-15 years|
|Social/ attention needs||High|
Samoyed Husky Mix is a medium to large sized dog breed that falls somewhere between the breed’s parents in size. Your Samoyed Husky Mix will have the physical characteristics of both the Siberian Husky and the Samoyed.
Well, it sounds interesting that their appearance can vary. How a Samoyed Husky Mix ends up looking depends on the genes received by the parents.
The main colors of Samoyed Husky Mix dogs are white, cream, fawn, gray, red, sable, and agouti. Sometimes their coats are solid, and sometimes they have a mix of colors. Samoyed Husky Mix dogs stand 20 to 24 inches tall. Males and females weigh 45 to 60 pounds.
Samoyed Husky Mix Personality
Samoyed Husky Mix’s personality can be varied depending on each parent’s genetic contribution. These dogs are intelligent, loving, playful, stubborn, cheerful, and devoted to their family. Samuskies share the following personalities:
- Affectionate: Samoyed Husky Mix is a loving and cuddly dog. They desire your attention and affection but offer unconditional love to their owners.
- Friendly and outgoing: Samoyed Husky Mixes are gentle and friendly to people. They can get along with other dogs if socialized properly. However, they might like to chase smaller animals like cats due to the high prey drive they inherit from the Husky.
- Playful: Samuskies are playful dogs and can form solid bonds with their owners. They enjoy spending time with their human companions. They must be taught to play nicely from puppyhood. Their playful antics often help them get the adoration they crave.
- Intelligent: The hybrid breed is considered highly intelligent. They have a good memory and can fairly understand human gestures. Samuskies need mental stimulation to stay away from mischievous and destructive activities.
- Independent: Even though they are eager to please, Samuskies have the stubborn and independent nature of their Husky parent. This makes them an unsuitable breed for novice owners.
- Escape artist: Just like their Husky parent, Samuskies are world-class escape artists. So, keep them well-exercised both physically and mentally.
Many behavioral issues stem from a dog’s early upbringing. If socialized properly in puppyhood, Samuskies make an excellent family dog.
Early socialization is important if you want your Samoyed Husky Mix puppy to grow up polite and respectful to other pets and children.
Pet parent tip: Teach your children how to deal with dogs and learn how to handle and treat them with respect.
The Samoyed Husky Mix is generally a healthy breed but some health conditions may affect this mix breed. If you own or are planning to buy a Samusky, you need to be aware of its health concerns.
- Hip Dysplasia: This is a degenerative condition caused by deformity of the hip that occurs during Samoyed Husky Mix’s growth. Samuskies with hip dysplasia show pain, lameness, and limping on one or both rear legs.
- Elbow Dysplasia: Elbow Dysplasia is a progressive disease in Samuskies that causes a developmental deformity of the elbows. Samuskies with elbow dysplasia show forelimb lameness and pain.
- Diabetes: Diabetes mellitus is a fairly common disease in Samuskies. It occurs when your Samoyed Husky Mix’s body makes too little insulin or has an abnormal response to insulin. Diabetes prevents Samoyed Husky Mix’s body from regulating blood sugar levels properly.
- Hypothyroidism: A Samoyed Husky Mix with Hypothyroidism produces low thyroid hormones. This problem is curable and treated with medication and diet.
- Eye Defects: Eye defects in the Samoyed Husky Mix are serious and should not be understated or overlooked. Eye problems include cataracts, Corneal dystrophy, and Progressive Retinal Atrophy.
If you want to get a Samoyed Husky Mix puppy, you might ask for some health screenings from the breeder. Also, it is vital to go to routine checkups with the vet and to practice healthy habits. A healthy Samoyed Husky Mix can save you from a lot of stress in the long run.
Feeding your Samusky
The Samoyed Husky Mix is an incredibly active breed with high energy levels. Their diet must be formulated for a medium-to-large-sized dog with high energy and exercise needs.
The food requirements of a Samoyed Husky Mix puppy change as they grow up. Clean and fresh water should be available to Samuskies at all times.
You can maintain a healthy weight by exercising them vigorously and feeding a balanced diet. Remember that any treats you feed your Samusky count towards its daily calorie intake.
Grooming Needs of Samoyed Husky Mix
Expect your Samusky to have a thick, double coat and they shed quite a lot. They need a lot of grooming. They have a double coat and will shed profusely, significantly when the seasons change.
- The Samoyed Husky Mix needs regular brushing every day. Even then, you can still expect to find a lot of hair around the home.
- They just need a few baths in a year, only when needed. Frequent bathing strips the coat of oils that keep it healthy.
- Teeth should be brushed daily. Brushing removes bacteria and tartar buildup. Samoyed Husky Mixes are prone to dental problems.
- Samoyed Husky Mix’s nails should be trimmed every few weeks to avoid splitting, cracking, and discomfort.
- Samoyed Husky Mix’s ears should smell good with no unusual amount of wax. Cleaning your puppy’s ears regularly will prevent infection.
- When you groom your Samoyed Husky Mix, look inside its mouth and ears for signs of allergies or infection.
The Samoyed Husky Mix is not the best choice for an allergy sufferer.
Training your Samoyed Husky Mix
Samoyed Husky Mix dogs are considered highly intelligent dogs. But sometimes, they tend to be stubborn and independent and that makes training difficult. Samuskies require firm, consistent, and patient training with lots of positive reinforcements. Being a sensitive breed, harsh treatment, punishments, and yelling will make them stubborn.
Here are some of the training that you need to do with your Samoyed Husky Mix puppy:
- Leash training
- Crate training
- Potty training
- Obedience training
Housetraining should start right from the start since these dogs are intelligent and quite stubborn. The Samusky puppies should be socialized with people and other family pets so they become friendly to them even when they are fully grown.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate, and we may earn a commission.
Exercise Requirements of Samoyed Husky Mix
You should expect to participate in daily exercise sessions with your Samuskies. They need regular exercise and physical activities to stay healthy and comfortable. By exercising your Samoyed Husky Mix, you will prevent health risks and reduce behavioral problems through fun activities.
Samuskies have high energy levels, but they are also vulnerable to weight gain. Make sure your active Samusky gets around 30 to 60 minutes of daily exercise. Samuskies have high energy levels, but they are also vulnerable to weight gain.
Daily exercise will also prevent destructive behaviors. Samuskies are very intelligent and can become bored quite easily. So, they also need mental stimulation with lots of interactive dog toys.
Samuskies are also known to be escape artists, especially when bored. So they need to be kept in a fenced-in yard that gives them space to exercise and move around.
Exercising your Samoyed Husky Mix should not be a burden for you or your dog. You can meet your Samoyed Husky Mix’s exercise requirements by:
- Teaching new tricks
- Playing with puzzle toys
- Playing tug of war
- Agility training
- Obedience training
- Giving your Samoyed Husky Mix a safe area to play and run
Parting shot at Samoyed Husky Mix
The Samoyed Husky Mix is becoming more popular as dog lovers realize it’s an amazing dog. Samuskies have stunning looks and have a pleasant and playful personalities. They do shed considerably, so might not be a great option for allergy sufferers.
If you have an active lifestyle and need great companions and intelligent watchdogs, then this might be the dog for you.