Has your dog always slept with its bum facing you or has made a change in its sleeping position just recently? The main reasons dogs will lay with their bum facing towards you are comfort, preference, protection, trust, petting, and positive reinforcement.
Well, most pet parents are familiar with this scenario and in this post, we help them understand the why behind it and discuss some helpful dog sleep tips.
Related Reading: Why Do Dogs Fall Asleep So Fast? (is it bad?)
Why Does My Dog Lay With His Bum Towards Me? (6 Reasons)
There are several reasons why your dog sleeps with their bum facing you. Some dog parents may interpret this as a sign that there’s something up with their dog. Let’s have a look at some reasons why dogs sleep with their bum facing you.
1. It’s just comfortable for the dog
Your dog might just have its bum towards you while it sleeps because it’s more comfortable to sleep that way. If your dog is facing away from you, you can take it as a positive sign as it could indicate that your dog trusts its surroundings. Sleeping with their bum towards you is just more calming.
2. Dogs aren’t used to ventral contact
Dogs generally don’t like ventral contact such as chest-to-chest and face-to-face. Your dog might like to have its butt against your face while it sleeps because of this natural instinct. They may not want to disrespect you or display a threatening pose by sleeping in your direction.
3. Dogs are protecting you
Dogs are loyal creatures and are very protective of their owners. While they are sleeping, they’ll think about your safety and ensure you come to no harm. They are cautious and they want to be alert of any threat. Dogs sleep in this position when they’re resting but not sleeping deeply. This posture allows them to jump up quickly in case of any threat.
4. They trust you
Dogs show their trust in many ways and this may include lying with their bum facing you. Sleeping with their bum facing you makes them feel safe.They are comfortable enough with you. They also feel safe knowing that you’re behind their back.
5. Dogs want you to pet them on the rear
Dogs like their rear scratched because it’s a hard area for them to reach. For some dogs, rubs and scratches communicate love and affection. Having their bum rubbed or itched is one of those simple pleasures for dogs. When they’re bumping you with their butt, it might be a simple case of wanting that specific area to be pet.
6. You are encouraging this behavior
You might’ve encouraged them to sleep in such a way. If you always scratch their bum when they face away, they’ll quickly learn cause and effect. Basically, they’ll understand that you’ll give them more rubs whenever they face away.
Fun fact: Dogs often sniff each other’s bum as a form of greeting. It is a form of dog identification. By sniffing each other’s butts, dogs can also know if they have met before.
Why Do Dogs Touch You When They Sleep?
Dogs are pack animals and a pack mentality could be influencing why they like to touch you while they sleep. Some of these reasons from a pack mentality that could be influencing this behaviour include:
- As their pack leader, your fur buddy sees you as their protector. So, it will want to stay right against the alpha for security and protection.
- Dogs might touch you while sleeping for warmth.
- Your furry companion just absolutely adores you, plain and simple.
- The act of them sleeping all snuggled up to you could be their way of getting some quality one on one time with you.
- Some breeds are more cuddly than others, it’s engrained in their DNA. These breeds include Lhasa Apso, Maltese, Pomeranians, Golden Retrievers, English Bulldogs, and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
Why Do Dogs Always Take Your Spot When You Get Up?
The two most common reasons why your doggie may want to steal your seat are affection and dominance.
- One reason is just a wistful desire to soak in your special smell.
- Another reason for this is separation anxiety. It makes your dog feel compelled to be in your space.
- Most of the time, dogs liketo take your place because it feels safe to them.
- The other reason is to show dominance. Sometimes, there are multiple dogs in the same household. In addition to taking your spot, the dog may try to show dominance and establish their “rank” in the family. It is something that should not be encouraged.
Should You Pet Your Dog While Sleeping?
You might have heard the saying, “Let sleeping dogs lie.” Although all dogs like to be pet, you should always look for the mutual agreement that the dog wants you to pet them. Unless they are years into a developing comfort with you, it can startle them when they are most vulnerable.
Like human beings, most canines do not like being disturbed while they are sleeping. They like to sleep in peace and not be disturbed.
Your dog sleeps with their bum facing you because it’s comfortable this way and as a sign of friendliness, trust. They also feel safe and want you to pet them on their back. It’s a physical sign your dog believes in your presence and wants to show their back to you willingly.
Let your dog be and let it sleep the way it feels most comfortable!
6 Reasons Your Dog Nibbles Your Ears and What To Do
Dogs tend to put everything into their mouths, and when they go for your hands, arms, or your ear, that is them exploring what they can do with you.
5 Reasons Your Dog Is Always Touching You
This post will show you several reasons why your dog might be always touching you and what you can do about it.
Best Glass Door Protection For Dog Scratches
It is common for pet parents to deal with dog scratches on doors and windows. On some occasions, this can be frustrating.
Why Does My Dog Sneeze So Much? 8 Reasons!
5 Reasons Why Your Dog Walks Circles Around You
Consider some of the following things when trying to figure out the exact reason why your dog circles around you.
My Dog Ate Used Condom, HELP!
If your dog ate a used condom, you're probably freaking out right now, but don't worry. There are some quick and easy ways to treat this situation that will ensure your pet's safety.