Despite your best efforts, sometimes your fur buddy doesn’t learn polite manners. We know how hard it is to train a stubborn dog who doesn’t respond or listen to your commands. Although it may seem like a cruel thing to do, shock collars are ultimately the most effective tools to correct bad behavior and prevent future escalation in negative behaviours in stubborn dogs.
Many people have great success teaching their dogs using these collars.
Shock collars are an effective way to reinforce commands, curb unwanted behaviors, and communicate with your dog. A strong and effective shock collar can provide a static correction. This can force the dog to pay attention to your commands and obey you. These collars use vibration and loud sounds to help your dog understand different commands.
Are you looking for the strongest training collar you can use with more than one dog?
Durability, versatility, and strength are important when purchasing a shock collar for your dog. Many of the shock collars in the market do not meet these criteria. It is important when purchasing to ensure that the collar will also be safe and not overly painful for your dog. We review one of the best collars, which meets all of the previous criteria, in this post.
The SportDOG shock collar is the strongest and most effective option to train good and stop bad behaviours in dogs.
We want to make it very clear, however, that shock collars have a very controversial reputation, and most animal rescues and shelters would not condone the use of shock collars. We are SirDoggie always recommend leaving shock collars as a last resort, or off the table completely.
However, we also recognize that shock collars are still being used on dogs and will likely continue to be used until an outright ban. So, we feel opting for a high-quality shock collar with a good reputation is a better choice for dogs and a must for those choosing to use one.
SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainers Shock Collar
The SportDOG is a powerful shock collar for dogs who do not respond to traditional and cheap collars. It is made to curb undesirable behaviour in most anxious dogs who can easily bear small and weak shocks.
The SportDOG shock collar can emit a momentary and continuous current. During a continuous current and shock, it doesn’t lose strength and forces the dog to pay attention to the command.
SportDOG Brand 425X
- 500 yard range e collar that can support training 3 dogs with the same remote with purchase of additional collars (SDR AF)
- Choose to train with vibration (buzz), tone (beep), or 21 levels of static simulation in either momentary (nick) or continuous
- Waterproof and submersible to 25 feet using DryTek technology
- Lithium ion, rechargeable batteries feature a 2 hour quick charge, and a low battery indicator lets you know when to charge
- Fits dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5 to 22 inches
- Features 1 year warranty
- Age range description: All stages
- Included components: Basic training manual
This shock collar features a small receiver that possesses a half-mile range. This makes it suitable for long-distance control. The remote of the shock collar is designed to operate with just the movement of the dial and push-button. This lets you focus on your dog and not fiddling with your equipment.
This waterproof shock collar is submersible up to 25 feet. This allows it to perform in any weather or terrain (even while swimming). This makes the SportDOG collar very effective and durable.
The batteries are rechargeable, which makes the shock collar durable and not overly expensive in upkeep even when used heavily. The lithium-ion batteries are very easy to charge as once fully charged it will last a whopping 50-70 hours before needing to be recharged.
The adjustable collar strap is comfortable and made to fit any size of dog neck between 5 to 22 inches. This should fit any small, medium, large, and even extra large pooch. The only exception would be a very small dog with a neck circumference less than 5’ and weighing less than 8 lbs. It can also be customized to fit any dog temperament with the tone, vibration, and the 21 static stimulation levels.
The SportDOG shock collar also comes with a training DVD. It helps you to train your dog effectively rather than just relying on an electric shock to keep them subdued. This shock collar comes with a one-year manufacturer warranty.
The SportDOG shock collar is a great tool for safety, off-leash, recall, getting attention, obedience, correcting bad behavior, and ensuring commands are followed. This collar is indeed a multipurpose gem!
- Brand: SportDOG
- Color: Camouflage
- Range: 500 Yards
- Submersible in water to 25ft
- Customizable: Static / Tone / Vibration
- Momentary and continuous correction with 21 static stimulation levels
- Supports training up to 3 dogs
- Dog size: For dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5″ – 22″
- Battery type: Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
- Remote battery life: Charges in 2 hours, lasts 50-70 hours per charge
- Collar battery life: Charges in 2 hours, lasts 50-70 hours per charge
- Comes with comfortable straps
- Offers a higher static stimulation range level
- Compact and ideal for all sizes of dogs
- Vibration and tone settings available
- 7 levels of static stimulation
- Can train up to three dogs with the same remote
- Rechargeable batteries
- High quality, strong, and durable
- Good training aid for your dog
- Remote transmitter button functions can be customized
- The adjustable setting works smoothly
- The vibration doesn’t work as a deterrent for stubborn dogs
For a versatile and affordable training solution, this shock collar is ideal for dog owners; especially those with multiple dogs all needing training.
Advantages of Using a Strong Shock Collar
Now, let’s get into the benefits of training your dog with a shock collar. We also found a great response on reddit from a pet parent discussing some of the mis-understandings around shock collars:
Is it inhumane to squirt then with water or lightly bop their nose and say “No”?
People who automatically say shock collars are bad a) have never held one and b) imagine they’re basically tasers.
Its not inhumane when used correctly. It should get the dog’s attention but not cause harm. It shouldn’t be used if the dog is overly distressed by it. You are probably going to benefit if a professional trainer teaches you how to use itreddit.com
- Shock collars are one of the best options for quicker training results. They can get the dog’s attention and desired results very quickly.
- With shock collars you can correct your dog’s behavior from a distance; even when you’re not right next to your fur buddy.
- The wide range of stimulation levels enables dog parents to find the ideal settings for their dog. They can select the level that their dog will respect, one that is humane, and not fear-inducing.
- They can help to stop unwanted behaviours in stubborn and aggressive dogs.
- Some pooches simply don’t respond to verbal commands. A shock collar might help when voice commands aren’t an option.
- If your dog is something of an escape artist, a shock collar can probably help to prevent your fur buddy from going into the neighbor’s yard or a busy road.
- Bad barking habits can be swiftly corrected with the help of a shock collar.
- NOTE: You have to be aware of the pain tolerance of your four-legged friend. You do not want to hurt or scare your dog when trying to train him or her.
Pet Parent Tip: We do not endorse the regular use of shock collars on dogs. Do not leave the shock collar on your furry friend for more than a few hours a month. Use it only during the times when training your dog to stop undesirable behaviour.
Disadvantages of Using a Strong Shock Collar
There are two sides to the coin. You have the benefit of a shock collar, but on the other hand, shock collars also have their negative elements to be considered.
We’ve tried shock collars on multiple dogs AND have tested them on ourselves first. Even on the highest setting, they’re the same strength as a really strong static shock from a doorknob. It startles you and stings the tiniest bit, but it doesn’t hurt. In the end, we did not use them, because smaller dogs (terriors, chihuahua, etc) tend to get traumatized by fear, and anything larger ignores it or simply can’t feel it. We had a large shepherd that only got frustrated (and thus louder) with it on, and a bulldog that couldn’t tell it wasn’t a normal collar. YMMVreddit.com
- The electrical shock simulations can tend to cause a stress response in dogs.
- There are concerns about the way dog owners unintentionally use these shock collars. Sometimes, they incorrectly use the level or strength of the correction. This can cause pain or fear in the dog.
- In some dogs, shock collars can increase aggression, if associated with punishment.
- The excessive use of a shock collar can weaken the bond between the dog owner and his pet.
Pet Parent Tip: Shock collars should never be used on dogs with neurological dysfunctions. It can make any such condition more severe.
Tips for Using Strong Shock Collars
Here are some tips on buying a shock collar for your fur buddy:
- Choose a shock bark collar from a reputable manufacturer that meets industry standards.
- Make sure the shock collar fits your dog properly to ensure its effectiveness. Improper fit can hurt your dog.
- Always start at the lowest correction setting and only increase if necessary (i.e. the lowest setting is not noticeable for your dog).
- Every shock collar comes with an instruction manual. Always read it carefully to use the shock collar properly.
- It is not recommended to use shock collars on an anxious or stressed dog. This can worsen their condition.
- It is important to mix positive reinforcement with the shock collar. Dogs usually respond better to positive reinforcement techniques.
- Choose a shock collar that prevents a negative experience for both you and your dog.
Final Thoughts On Strong Shock Collars
When traditional training methods don’t work, shock collars can help you to curb the poor behavior in your dog(s). You can get even the most stubborn dogs to behave well by using shock collars.
Always use shock collars without causing any harm to your dog’s psyche. After all, subjecting your dog to even a minor discomfort is not an easy decision to make.
Shock collar should be used minimally and only to initially gain your dog’s attention. The use of a shock collar should be coupled with positive reinforcement like treats or praise. This will help dogs to distinguish between good and bad behaviour.
Let’s not forget that dogs are intelligent creatures. They can be trained using several methods to obtain what you want from your pet.
Top 3 Bark Collars For Dachshunds
The right bark collar is important for your Dachshund's comfort and well-being. In this post, we are going to highlight the top 3 bark collars for Dachshunds.
Best Gold Dog Collars | Top 3 Reviews
We are here to help you in selecting the best gold dog collar for your furry friend. Here are the best gold dog collars, all available for you to buy today.