If you’ve had a cocker spaniel for some time, you may be familiar with their heightened sensitivity. Like all dogs, cocker spaniels will enjoy life, eat, and play as much as possible.
Cocker Spaniel’s may need special attention when it comes to food.
Well, let’s be honest, special attention should always be given to choosing dog food. Finding the best dog food for cocker spaniel with allergies will keep your pup happy and healthy.
Top Pick At A Glance
Taste of The Wild High Protein
- REAL VENISON as the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein-rich for lean, strong muscles
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as superfoods for hard-working antioxidants; fatty acid blend for skin & coat
As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases, thanks for supporting our work!
The following are our 5 recommended dog foods for Cocker Spaniels with allergies:
- Taste of The Wild High Protein
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
- Merrick Salmon & Sweet Potato
- Instinct Original Natural Recipe
- Orijen Dry Dog Food, Regional Red
Nutrition plays a critical role in treating dog allergies. But remember, you know your Cocker best, so consider these dog foods carefully with your loved one in mind (and by your side!)
Our Top 5 Recommended Dog Foods For Cocker Spaniels With Allergies
Alright, let’s look a little closer at these recommended dog foods.
1. Taste of The Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food
The Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Natural Dry Dog Food is an excellent option for cocker spaniels with allergies because it is a simple and gentle formula. This formula is made with real venison as the number one ingredient and encourages lean strong muscles.
Taste of The Wild
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA; FAMILY OWNED & run; food made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols
Taste of the Wild food is made with ingredients from trusted sustainable sources. With no artificial colour, preservatives, or flavours, your cocker spaniel gets the highest quality ingredients.
The nutrient-rich formula is easily digestible and will be easy on your dog’s stomach even if they have exhibited allergies. The formula is also made with probiotics to keep your cocker spaniel’s digestive tract running smoothly.
Ingredients: Buffalo, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, egg product, pea protein, peas, potatoes, canola oil, tomato pomace, roasted bison, roasted venison, beef, flaxseed, potato fiber, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (a source of DHA), salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is another reliable option for your cocker spaniel who experiences allergic reactions to certain foods.
- This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance
- Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient
- High-quality protein from real lamb helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles
- They contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
This formula contains real meat as the first ingredient and contains wholesome grains that are gentle on the stomach. The Blue Buffalo formula contains added nutrients and vitamins to enhance your cocker spaniel’s overall health.
This formula does not contain any chicken by-product ingredients, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavours, or preservatives. This makes it a gentle option for cocker spaniels who have allergies. The formula is available in a variety of different flavours for your dog’s preference.
Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Pea Starch, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Dried Tomato Pomace, Lamb Meal, Pea Protein, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Turmeric, L-Carnitine, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
3. Merrick Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Salmon & Sweet Potato
The Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food comes in a variety of flavours with real meat or fish as the first ingredient. The Grain Free formula contains no gluten at all, making it more easily digestible and agreeable for cocker spaniels with allergies.
- Real deboned salmon is always the first ingredient in this poultry free dog food
- Dry food for dogs with 60% protein and healthy fat ingredients and 40% produce, fibre, vitamins, minerals and other natural ingredients
- With 74% of protein from animal sources, the Merrick Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe offers the ideal combination of protein and healthy fats to help a dog maintain optimal weight and increased energy
- Glucosamine and chondroitin help maintain healthy hips and joints, while omega fatty acids support healthy skin and shiny coat
The additional Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids help keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy and shiny.
If your cocker spaniel has poultry allergies, you’re in luck because Merrick offers a variety of poultry-free flavour options. The formula also contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin to keep your dog’s hips and joints healthy.
Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Whitefish Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Peas, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Potato Protein, Pea Protein, Deboned Whitefish, Salt, Organic Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Apples, Blueberries, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Proteinate, Cobalt Carbonate), Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols for Freshness, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Citric Acid for Freshness, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product.
4. Instinct Original Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
The Instinct Nature’s Variety Grain-Free Recipe is another reliable option with meat as its first ingredient. The formula comes in a collection of different flavours, so there’s no need to worry if your cocker spaniel is allergic to a specific type of meat like beef or chicken.
- Made with 70% real animal ingredients and nutritious oils, 30% vegetables, fruits and other wholesome ingredients. Responsibly sourced cage free chicken is the #1 ingredient
- High protein dog food made with probiotics to support healthy digestion and omegas for skin & coat. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meals, artificial colours or preservatives
- Made with the pure, real nutrition of raw. Raw is natural, made from real meat & whole food ingredients, protein-packed & minimally processed. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world
This kibble is made coated in freeze-dried raw to provide a tastier meal for your dog.
The food is made from all natural ingredients with a mix of 70% real animal ingredients and 30% vegetables, fruits, and other wholesome ingredients. The texture of the kibble is hard, so your cocker spaniel can enjoy a nice crunch while they eat.
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Tapioca, Herring Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Natural Flavor, Salt, Dried Tomato Pomace, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Carrots, Apples, Cranberries, Montmorillonite Clay, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Choline Chloride, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Freeze Dried Chicken Heart, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract
5. Orijen Dry Dog Food, Regional Red
The Orijen Regional Red for Dogs is made of fresh and raw animal meat products in the USA. The only thing added to this formula is zinc, as the WholePrey ratios of fresh meats provide almost all nutrients that your cocker spaniel needs.
- Rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from ranch-raised beef, wild boar, Boer goat, grass-fed lamb, Yorkshire pork, and wild-caught mackerel
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
This formula is free of grain, tapioca, and plant protein concentrates. This means your cocker spaniel’s sensitive tummy will be able to digest the food easily and comfortably.
The formula contains about 20% low-glycemic carbohydrates to make sure your cocker spaniel is nourished according to its biological needs.
Ingredients: Fresh ranch-raised beef meat (11%), fresh wild boar meat (4%), fresh plains bison meat (4%), fresh grass-fed lamb meat (4%), fresh Yorkshire pork meat (4%), fresh beef liver (4%), fresh beef tripe (4%), fresh whole pilchard (4%), fresh cage-free eggs (4%), fresh wild boar liver (4%), lamb (dehydrated, 4%), beef (dehydrated, 4%), whole herring (dehydrated, 4%), mutton (dehydrated, 4%), pork (dehydrated, 4%), fresh lamb liver (3.5%), fresh lamb tripe (3.5%), whole sardine (dehydrated, 3%), fresh pork liver (3%), whole red lentils, whole green lentils, fresh whole green peas, lentil fibre, fresh whole chickpeas, fresh whole yellow peas, fresh whole pinto beans, beef fat (1%), pork fat (1%), herring oil (1%), beef cartilage (dehydrated, 1%), beef liver (freeze-dried), beef tripe (freeze-dried), lamb liver (freeze-dried), lamb tripe (freeze-dried), fresh whole pumpkin, fresh whole butternut squash, fresh whole zucchini, fresh whole parsnips, fresh carrots, fresh whole Red Delicious apples, fresh whole Bartlett pears, fresh kale, fresh spinach, fresh beet greens, fresh turnip greens, brown kelp, whole cranberries, whole blueberries, whole Saskatoon berries, chicory root, turmeric root, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender, marshmallow root, rosehips
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few of the frequent questions from Cocker Spaniel pet parents regarding their dog food.
What Allergies are Common to Cocker Spaniels?
Cocker spaniels are spunky dogs that love to play and give you all of their love. You may realize early on that it’s important to invest in the best dog food for cocker spaniel with allergies. Cocker spaniels are often prone to health issues such as deafness, hyperthyroidism, anemia, and namely allergies.
Cocker spaniels are more vulnerable than some other breeds to develop the following types of allergies:
- Contact allergies
- Inhalant allergies
- Food allergies
If this was something you weren’t aware of, it may feel overwhelming at first. Luckily, with proper management, you can help your cocker spaniel live the healthiest life possible.
What are the Signs of Food Allergies in Cocker Spaniels?
You might be wondering how you will be able to tell if your cocker spaniel is experiencing food allergies. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Itchiness on the ears and feet
- Red, swollen bumps on ears and feet from scratching
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Blood or mucus in the stool or vomit
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, be sure to call your veterinarian as soon as possible.
What Foods Cause Allergies in Dogs?
Food allergies vary from one dog to another. When it comes to cocker spaniels, allergens can be just about anything. Many cocker spaniels cannot tolerate milk. Other allergies could range from beef to a single preservative used in packaged dog food.
It can often be difficult to pinpoint what’s causing the allergy and the process may take months.
In the meantime, you can start an elimination diet with your dog. This means that you bump your dog’s diet back to one source of protein and one source of starch.
After a few weeks of no allergic reactions, another ingredient will be added to the diet. This process will continue to help identify allergens.
Many cocker spaniels benefit from a diet which consists of simple and natural ingredients.
- Do Cocker Spaniel’s Shed?
- Best Shampoos for Cocker Spaniels
- Why Has My Dog Started Barking at Night?
- 61 Of The Most Popular Korean Dog Names
- 11 Marine and Military Dog Names
Having a cocker spaniel with allergies can feel stressful if you’re not sure how to feed them properly. Stick with natural, whole foods and your cocker spaniel will feel better.
There are many kibbles available that use natural ingredients and keep allergens to a minimum.
If you want to be sure about whether your Cocker Spaniel is suffering from food allergies, visit your veterinarian. they will help you determine the best dietary course of action.
Do Cocker Spaniels Shed? Keep Your House Clean!
Many Cocker Spaniels shed, though the amount of hair they lose is minimal. The best way to reduce the amount that they shed is by grooming them frequently.
The Best Dog Food for English Bulldogs With Skin Allergies
Nutrition plays a critical role in treating dog allergies. But you know your English Bulldog best, so consider these products carefully.
Best Food for Older Dogs With Sensitive Stomachs
The best foods for older dogs with sensitive stomachs are ones that avoid the food(s) causing the sensitivities and ones that help improve digestion.
Wet Dog Food vs Dry, Which One is Better?
Hands down, wet dog food is almost always going to be of higher quality and more appealing to your dog’s taste.
Best Dog Food Fоr Your Bullmаѕtіff Puрру
Proper food for dogs helps them reach their genetic potential, and Bullmastiff Puppies are no different. Here are some of our top dog food picks.
7 Seeds That Are Healthy For Dogs
There are a few different ways that you can prepare and serve seeds and seeded food to your dog.