Most dogs are known for their love of food and will instantly lap up anything that is put in front of them, indiscriminately.
Pet parents of these dogs have it easy because while they might have to lock up their food more securely and be careful not to leave unfinished dinner plates unattended, they can buy just about any dog food brand they desire and feel confident that their pups will eat it without a second thought.
Recommended Dog Foods for Picky Dogs: Our Picks
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient – Sweet Potato & Venison
- Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Grain Free
- Taste of the Wild High Protein, Roasted Bison & Venison
- BLUE Freedom Natural Grain Free Wet Dog Food
- Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health Pre-Mix Dog Food
The best dog food for picky dogs is the one they’ll eat (duh!). But often, foods with as few filler ingredients as possible get the attention of picky eaters.
Some doggies have a more refined taste palette. They may pick around their food suspiciously with all the grace of a toddler refusing to eat their vegetables.
If this is the case for your doggie, you’ve probably had a hard time finding foods that your pup finds both nutritious and tasty. Luckily for you, we’ve got you covered.
Top 5 Best Tasting Dog Foods for Picky Dogs
Alright, let’s take a closer look at these recommended dog foods. No one dog food fits all dogs, so we’ve included a variety on this list between dry, wet and dehydrated.
We hope this list of reviews and recommendations helps you and your picky dog get closer to finding that perfect food!
1. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Wet Dog Food
Not sure why your doggie has an aversion to every dry food you’ve tried to feed them? Maybe it’s time you try some wet food. Some pet parents feel weary when considering canned foods for dogs.
They often have unfounded assumptions and don’t think it measures up to kibble or other types of food. Wet dog food can often be superior to dry, as the benefits of canned dog food are:
- more meat protein
- fewer carbohydrates
- air-tight packaging
- no synthetic preservatives
This Natural Balance dog food is composed of two major ingredients— sweet potatoes and venison. As far as dog foods go, picky doggies tend to prefer formulas with a high percentage of meat— their ancestors were carnivores after all— and this formula certainly meets that qualification.
It’s also packed with important vitamins and minerals including vitamins A and E, calcium, and vitamin B12. The food is an important source of protein as well. Try this all-natural formula on your picky doggie and they’ll almost certainly be begging for more.
Ingredients: Sweet Potatoes, Venison Broth, Venison, Potatoes, Potato Protein, Dehydrated Potatoes, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Salmon Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, D-Calcium Panthothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid), Venison Meal, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Choline Chloride, Carrageenan, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract
2. Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Grain-Free Dog Food
This food is perfect if you want to try a wet food diet on your picky pooch but are still looking to buy in bulk. The food is dehydrated and comes dry, meaning you can store it for months, but it’s designed so that it can easily be transformed into a wet, gourmet meal— all you have to do is add water and serve it up.
- Made with real whole food ingredients like free-range chicken, organic oats, carrots & bananas, which are gently dehydrated for maximum nutrient retention and easy digestion
- This recipe is packed with human-grade, free-range chicken for an irresistible taste
- Complete & Balanced nutrition for dogs of all life stages, breeds and sizes including adults, puppies and gestation
- NO artificial preservatives, by-products, fillers, GMO ingredients, corn, wheat or soy
The product’s base is chicken, a favourite of even the pickiest dogs, and it’s created from all-natural, human-grade ingredients.
Honest Kitchen believes that if low-quality food scraps that have been through excessive processing and contain many preservatives aren’t good for humans, they aren’t good for dogs either.
This food will take you back to the basics, essentially mimicking the type of natural, unprocessed meat consumed by your pet’s wolf ancestors. Therefore, it’s likely your picky dog will consider this product a tasty treat.
Ingredients: All ingredients dehydrated: Free-range chicken, organic barley, potatoes, organic flax, organic oats, green peas, carrots, bananas, parsley, organic kelp, celery, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate. All ingredients are processed in the USA in a human grade food processing facility. They are non genetically modified and free of any chemicals & preservatives. All meat is hormone and antibiotic free
3. Taste of the Wild High Protein, Roasted Bison & Venison
Here is a dry food option for pet parents who either have tried wet food to no avail or would like to try a few more dry foods before giving up.
If your doggie ends up eating any dry food, it’ll be this one.
Taste of the Wild
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie with ROASTED BISON & VENISON REAL MEAT is #1 ingredient optimal amino acid profile & protein-rich for LEAN STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made without grain, corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavours, colours, or preservatives added
- Nutrient-rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with species-specific PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
The flavour we recommend consists predominantly of two different healthy foods— chicken and brown rice. Bison and Venison are both a tasty and healthy source of protein for your doggie and brown rice is known to help with digestion.
Nature Variety is a company that prides itself on not using “filler” ingredients (these ingredients often contribute to foods’ poor taste and make your dog less likely to eat them) so you can be 100% sure that you’re getting your money’s worth.
Everything included in the food will benefit your doggie and help provide them with the energy and nutrients they need to get through the day.
Ingredients: Beef, lentils, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), DL-Methionine, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. Contains a source of live (viable), naturally occurring microorganisms
4. BLUE Freedom Natural Grain Free Wet Dog Food
Does your doggie struggle with grain-based food? Take a look at the products you’ve tried feeding them over the years and you might notice that they all have one ingredient in common—grains. If this is the case, you may have found the root of your problem and should try a grain-free meal like this one.
- This tasty wet dog food features high-quality protein from real chicken plus complex carbohydrates to help your buddy stay active and healthy
- All BLUE canned dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals
- Unlike many other dog food brands, BLUE never uses wheat as a thickener in our wet dog food. There are also NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, and NO corn, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
This canned wet dog food is made primarily of chicken but also contains potatoes and various vegetables to supplement your pup’s diet.
The best part is that it’s free of harmful preservatives, artificial flavours, and artificial colours. That means you can rest assured knowing that everything your doggie is ingesting is nutritious and natural.
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Blueberries, Cranberries, Salt, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, Fish Oil, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols
5. Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health Pre-Mix Dog Food
This food is great for doggies of all ages and sizes, but it’s especially marketed towards picky eaters and older, sick dogs.
- Canine nutrition you can see and smell; canine health is a base mix used to effortlessly create balanced, homemade meals for your dog–known to improve your dog’s kidney health
- 100% human-grade dog food packed with real food including 9 dehydrated vegetables, crushed eggshells, and 6 organic grains without preservatives, dyes, chemicals, and fillers
- Homemade dog food made easy; preparing canine health only takes minutes, simply rehydrate with hot water and add your own raw meat–top off with Dr. Harvey’s Fish Oil for Dogs and Dr. Harvey’s Kidney Health Supplement for a complete meal
- Feeding your dog real, nutrient-dense whole foods has been shown to improve your dog’s digestion, increase energy, a shinier coat, less itchy skin, and less smelly stools
- This 5 pound bag of dehydrated whole foods makes 33, one pound finished meals for your dog
The mix is loaded with vegetables, and, like product #2, stores well dry and requires minimal preparation from you to transform it into a fresh, wet meal.
Simply add oil/water and some raw or cooked protein, and you’re good to go.
If your doggie is suffering from kidney issues, this brand has been shown to significantly improve your dog’s health.
One Amazon reviewer said that her 10-year-old sick pitbull was refusing to eat and even starting defecating blood. After the vet found out the doggie had kidney problems its pet parents tried out this food and returned to “normal” within 3 weeks!
Ingredients: Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Barley, Organic Triticale, Organic Spelt, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Kamut, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Potatoes, Tricalcium Phosphate, Celery, Peas, Green Beans, Beets, Broccoli, Parsley, Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Alfalfa, Dried Kelp, Ground Flaxseed, Dried Ground Fenugreek, Dried Ground Fennel, Dried Ground Ginger, Dried Ground Peppermint, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid
- Best Dog Food for Cocker Spaniel with Allergies
- Best Dry Dog Food For a Rottweiler
- 6 Best Dry Dog Food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Best Dog Food for Mini Goldendoodles
- Best Dog Food for Older Dogs with Sensitive Teeth
- Benefits of Cold Pressed Dog Food
- How Long Does Dry Dog Food Last?
- Wet Dog Food vs Dry. which one is better?
- What to Mix With Dry Dog Food?
- What Is Kibble? a detailed breakdown of dry dog food
The above video consists of some additional tips if your dog still refuses to eat his food after trying all of the healthy options provided.
There you have it—the 5 best tasting dog foods for picky dogs. The most important things to keep in mind when shopping for your pet is to focus on natural, simpler, meat-based recipes.
Even dogs that aren’t picky would likely enjoy the foods listed here more than they enjoy generic preservative-filled, artificially-flavoured food simply because the foods on this list taste better and are better for them.
Regardless of whether your dog prefers wet food or dry food, you should be able to find a product on here that meets his very specific tastes. We wish you the best of luck and hope your pooch can learn to enjoy his meals as he deserves.
Best Dog Food for Older Dogs with Sensitive Teeth
Once you’ve confirmed that bad teeth are an issue for your older dog, it’s time to change their diet. But remember, you know your friend best, so consider these products carefully with your dog in mind.
What is the Best Dog Food for the Pomeranian?
If уоu're a pet parent to a Pоmеrаnіаn, уоu'll wаnt tо fееd it wеll. Yоu ѕhоuld, thеrеfоrе, treat it with the best dog food for Pomeranians.
Best Dog Food for Tear Stains Our 2021 Picks
5 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppy Foods
If you are lucky enough to have one of these cuties, you must want to know what is the best puppy food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
What Is Kibble and Dry Dog Food?
Kibble is what most people refer to as dry dog food. It is considered the most convenient option for feeding your dog since don't need to prepare it in any way.
Best Dog Foods For French Bulldogs
We've gоt іn-dерth reviews fоr уоu where we tаlk аbоut іngrеdіеntѕ, mеаt соntеnt аnd more. We always look аt thrее thіngѕ when ranking a dоg fооd.