When it comes to small breeds, everything is much smaller. Just because your pup is petite, doesn’t mean they don’t need to be kept safe and secure while out and about.
A harness makes it easier for you to control your dog and train them while on walks. The best part of using a harness is that it keeps your dog comfortable by reducing unnecessary pressure.
But let’s be honest, finding the right harness for smaller dogs can be difficult.
Top Pick At A Glance
RUFFWEAR Reflective and Padded Harness
- Lightweight, durable, and made for all-day outdoor adventures
- Reinforced webbing at the chest stands up to pulling and gives additional control
- Designed for easy on and off
As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases, thanks for supporting our work!
Top 5 Recommended Harnesses for Small Breeds: Our Picks
- RUFFWEAR Reflective and Padded Harness
- Puppia Soft Dog Harness
- EcoBark Control Dog Harness
- PUPTECK No-Pull Dog Harness
- Chai’s Choice Outdoor Adventure Dog Harness
Finding the best harnesses for small breeds will ensure that your little friend is comfortable at all times. Harnesses can also help discourage pulling and jumping which is a saving grace for new pet parents getting used to their new friend.
5 Best Harnesses for Small Breed Dogs
Alright, let’s take a closer look at the recommended harnesses for small dogs. There’s no “one size fits all” or “one harness for all dogs”, as your needs may be different than other pet parents.
But we hope this list helps you and your doggie get a little closer to finding the perfect one.
1. RUFFWEAR, Front Range Dog Harness, Reflective and Padded Harness for Training and Everyday
This harness is a bit pricier than some of the others listed here, but if you plan to go on lots of long walks, hikes, or runs with your buddy, this product is probably the best choice.
- Aluminum V-ring centred on the back
- Foam-padded straps across the chest and belly provide equal load distribution and comfort when running, walking, or resting
- 4 convenient points of adjustment for a full range of motion; Easy access ID pocket for safe storage of your dog’s tags
- Bright, easily visible fabric with reflective trim helps your dog stand out against any landscape day and night
Not only is it extremely comfortable for your dog, but it provides them with great, non-choke support, distributing his weight evenly so that no one part of them (such as their neck) is overly affected by the harness.
The chest area is reinforced with webbing, allowing you to control movements when necessary without exerting too much force. It also comes with pockets for dog tags, because no dog wants a tag constantly jangling against their neck while running.
The harness comes in small and even extra small sizes, so you can feel reassured that you’ll find one that fits your small pup.
2. Puppia Soft Dog Harness
This soft, inexpensive harness is guaranteed to be a hit with your small dog. Very few harnesses are as high-quality as this one while still being affordable.
Made of pure polyester, this harness is soft and comfortable for your pup, and the neck opening is padded.
The harness is adjustable around the chest, accommodating dogs of many different shapes and dimensions.
This harness, though very functional and comfortable, is not as ideal for hiking and running as the previous product, but if your goal is to simply have a more healthy means of controlling your pet on walks, this harness will be more than enough to get the job done.
Important to note is that several Amazon reviewers mention that the sizes run a bit small.
3. The Original EcoBark Control Dog Harness
Here is another inexpensive harness that’s perfect for giving your dog a comfortable, safe walk. EcoBark strives to make harnesses that are both high-quality and environmentally friendly.
- Soft, gentle, breathable double-layered mesh fabric made from non-toxic ROSH tested mesh fabric with durability built to last
- Strong full body collar for daily walking, running, and hiking
- Soft and extremely breathable lightweight airflow for an enjoyable walking experience
- Anti-rub technology with Custom Stitched Cover Designed to protect your pet from chaffing due to strap rubbing against the dog’s legs and chest for ultimate comfort and control innovation.
That’s why every EcoBark harness is made from recycled water bottles, so if environmental sustainability is something you’re concerned about, this harness is a smart choice.
This particular product has a double-mesh padding design, making it breathable and durable. It’s stitched covers make sure that the harness’s straps do not rub against your dog’s fur and skin, as that can be extremely uncomfortable for them!
The buckle is designed to be easy to snap together, easy to release, and almost impossible to pull apart accidentally, so you don’t need to worry about your pup breaking free and running off.
4. PUPTECK No-Pull Dog Harness
This harness is the perfect choice for pet parents looking for a multipurpose product that still manages to be lightweight and comfortable for your pet. It runs in sizes extra small to large.
- Made of 102% Polyester, looks like a red and black plaid jacket, with breathable mesh inside next to the skin
- Adjustable chest belt and stable buckle provide with double secure protection, remember leaving a room to spare in the chest and neck
- Machine washable, but hand wash and hang to dry are recommended.
Besides having a nylon, mesh webbing that allows you to control your pup gently, it consists of a handle to which you can attach a seatbelt! That’s right— if you’re taking your pup for a car ride, you can actually buckle them up.
This harness is ideal for nighttime hikes because it has several reflectors that alert any potential bikers, walkers, and drivers of your presence.
Even with all of these features, the price of the harness is still fairly low. You and your pup both deserve to have a safe, enjoyable walk.
5. Chai’s Choice Best Outdoor Adventure Dog Harness
Is your small dog feisty, energetic, and stubborn? If so, this heavy-duty harness is perfect for them.
The product is made of high-quality, authentic material and will help you control your feisty pup without having to worry about choking them or choking themselves.
- Outer layer made of scratch-resistant oxford material. Lightweight Duraflex Buckle with large loading capacity greatly improves tensile strength
- Ease of use putting on and taking off the harness. Comfortable lightweight mesh lining with soft sponge padding in chest and belly
- Push then pull straps through buckle for a custom fitting. Two leash attachment points: Zinc-alloy D-ring on dog’s back and webbing with Zinc-alloy O-ring on dog’s chest
Like the previous product, this harness comes with reflective material on it, and it’s also extremely durable— in fact, the outside material is actually scratch-resistant.
A double-ring design allows you to choose where on the product to attach your leash. What’s not to love? Apparently, Amazon customers agree with us on this one, because the harness has an average score of 4.4/5 stars with almost 4200 reviews.
It’s in a higher price range than some of the others on this list, but if you’re willing to invest a few extra dollars on a pet parent and pet approved brand, this is the one you should pick.
Dog Harnesses vs. Dog Collars
Most dog-walkers keep their pups on leashes, especially if the dog is particularly mischievous or aggressive. However, an important decision you’ll have to make when adopting a pup is whether you want to simply attach the leash to his collar or invest in a harness.
Good harnesses have the advantage of control and weight distribution that collars simply do not have. Many owners who choose to invest in harnesses do so because they don’t want to put additional strain on their pups’ necks.
The neck is certainly a very tender part of your dog’s body, so if you know that you frequently take your dog for long walks, or if your dog has a tendency to resist your pull, choking himself, a harness is certainly the best option for you.
Small dog parents, however, often have a hard time finding a harness that runs in a small enough size to fit their pups while still being of high quality. That’s what we’re here to help with. These are the five best harnesses for small breeds.
- Best Gold Dog Collars
- Best Bike Baskets for Dogs
- Best No-Pull Dog Harness for Boxers
- Best Brush for a Lab
- Best Flea and Tick Medicines for Dogs
This video argues that harnesses and collars are both necessary and that one should not replace the other because they serve different purposes.
Those are our recommendations for the best harnesses for small breeds. We believe that every product on this list will more than satisfy your needs and be a much more comfortable and safe option for walking your pet than a collar will.
Regardless of which harness you choose, you will no longer need to place strain on your pup’s neck in order to control them. This will allow both of you to get the exercise and fun you desire without any of the stress.
Best No-Pull Dog Harness for Wheaten Terriers
With Wheaten Terrier's curly coats, finding the right no-pull dog harness and leash can be a bit of a struggle, so we've rounded up our top picks.
Best Harnesses for Toy Breeds (5 Small and Safe Models)
A harness makes it easier for you to control your dog and train them while on walks. The best part of using a harness is that it keeps your dog comfortable
Best No-Pull Dog Harness for Boxers (5 Effective Options)
The best no-pull harnesses for boxers are ones that help your dog stay comfortable by reducing unnecessary pressure.
5 Chew Proof Dog Harnesses That Will Last
Having little trouble with the destructive chewing of your dog? It is a common issue with many dog owners.